LEARN HOW TO CROCHET PT. 2

Learn How To Crochet For Beginners Pt. 2

Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you. All opinions remain my own.

LEARN HOW TO CROCHET PT. 2

Welcome back! Hopefully, you’ve got your tools (a 6.5 mm hook and bulky yarn) and are ready to play. Today you will learn how to hold your hook and yarn and begin learning the basic stitches to begin truly crocheting.

How To Hold Your Crochet Hook 

The Knife Grip

The knife grip is exactly as its name suggests; its where you hold your crochet hook like a knife. 

The second way you could hold your crochet hook is the pencil grip; which again,  is exactly like it sounds. 

The Pencil Grip

Obvi this is where you hold the hook like a pencil. Fun fact: back in the Victorian days women preferred the pencil grip because it was thought to be more dainty and ladylike.    

Despite the war that this topic can cause within the crochet community, it truly is okay which grip you choose since both will get the job done and it all depends on what is most comfortable for you. #equality.

How To Hold Yarn When Crocheting

Aaaagain there are many different ways to hold your yarn while crocheting and again how you choose to hold your yarn is completely dependant on what is comfortable for you. But please listen to your hands choosing the wrong grip can have your hands hurting like a mutherfucker.

The Shocker 

For this tutorial, we are going to go over the most common grip. Because you use your pinkie and index finger to hold the yarn we will call this grip The Yarn Shocker. (Don’t look shocked, yes I went there). You will achieve this grip by winding the yarn around your left pink and then passing the yarn up and over your index finger. Where the difference occurs is whether you hold your index finger up or down.

The Pincher

Alternatively, you could use the pincher grip were you quite literally hold the yarn between your middle and index finger. The con to this grip is that your tension will be slightly loose and not as if you’re using the shocker. 

Give Em’ The Slip…Knot

Knowing how to make a slip knot is the first thing you need to learn on your journey to crocheting and is uber important to starting a crochet chain stitch.

 Below is a short video showing you how to make a slip knot.

How To Read The Slip Knot In A Pattern

Normally when you are reading a crochet pattern you will not read it written longhand, but rather it is written in shorthand, using abbreviations to save space and cut down on confusion. 

The slip knot is unfortunately treated like the red-headed stepchild and does not have an abbreviation and is rarely ever written in a pattern. It is that unspoken rule that you are assumed to have already made a slip knot because you can’t really crochet without one.

Hooker’s First Trick

The chain stitch is a vital stitch to learn for beginning crocheters, simply because it is the basis for just about 95% of crochet projects. The other 5% would be the more advanced starting stitch; the chainless stitches. Learn more about these game-changing babies here.

How To Read The Chain Stitch In A Crochet Pattern

The abbreviation for this crochet stitch looks like this: 

CH or Ch or ch

How the abbreviation appears in a written pattern

R1(Row1): CH 10, turn

Translation: 

Chain 10 chains and then turn your work

Rack Up The Singles

Working with our completed chains of 10 we will now learn and practice the single crochet stitch. First, you will turn your work or the chain so that the long end is facing the hook part of your hook, you will then begin to insert your hook into the second chain from your hook, yarn over, and then draw the yarn that you yarned over your hook back through the stitch that you first put your hook into. You should now have two loops on your hook. Now you will yarn over, again, and again, pull the yarn now over your hook through the two loops on your hook. 

Now I know that was a lot and if your anything like me then you may need visual aids. I got you just click the video below.

 along with this so I have made a little video so you can see this in live motion.

How To Read Single Crochet Stitch In A Crochet Pattern

The abbreviation for this crochet stitch looks like this: 

SC or Sc or sc

How the abbreviation appears in a written pattern: 

R1: CH 10, turn

R2: SC in each stitch across  or it can can be written as any of these ways

R2: SC 10 to end of row

Translation:

R1: Chain 10, Turn work

R2: Single crochet in each stitch of previous row

Congratulations 

Congratulations you are now crocheting! Now I will see you next week to complete our very first project! 

Catch Up If You Missed Part 1!

P.S. Don’t forget to pin for later and follow me on my socials.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *